adopt your own virtual pet!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

20Q

He’s a little less that three inches around, plastic the color blue-purple that makes it hard to tell what color he really is. His face is a LCD screen with four buttons underneath, your four options: unknown, no, yes, sometimes. He starts the same way every time, “Is it an… Animal? Vegetable? Mineral? Other?” Now, this beginning counts as one question and it doesn’t really makes much sense, of COURSE if it is not an animal, vegetable, or mineral it is an OTHER, it HAS to be something! Still, the oval-like ball continues, questions like: “Is it heavier than a pound of butter?” “Does it come in a pack?” “Is it hot?” “Can it be found on a farm?” The randomness of his concerns is absurd and entertaining. Then comes the moment, “I am thinking, that I will guess that you were thinking… Were you thinking of a _________?”
90% of the time he is right, much more often right than wrong. Ten dollars and eighty-three cents at Wal-mart and this tiny, massively manufactured ball made by RADICA: running off of two AAA batteries seems to know almost and item you think of.

Comment with a suggestion and I will gladly try to stump him. Just be general with your objects; ie. Hammerhead shark = Shark, Cereal box = Box. Anyway, have fun with it and I’ll post any results.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see. Try a can. Is that general enough?

12:25 PM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

So, can, and while I answer the questions I guess I am thinking along the lines of an aluminum can. (Coke, vegetable, ect...)After 20 questions the ball states: soda can. One for the ball.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a cat. Or has that already been done?

1:15 PM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

Once again, on his first guess our friend, 20Q, was not wrong ~ cat is not the object which will stop the sphere of smarts!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rubber band.

1:37 PM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

Rubber band, guess one: paper clip. After five more: glue. CONGRATULATIONS!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the ball its self?

1:41 PM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

Now this was fun, I felt so smart having him sit there and ask questions about himself. Guess one: Game Boy. Guess two: MP3 player. Good job, Bear. You stumped the ball again! Bear has only had the ball read her mind once ~ it was toilet paper ~ every other time she has baffled the ball.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Lesbian, or is that not general enough

6:04 PM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

With a wicked smile and all to happily cooperative hands I went right to questioning the magnificent ball that first guessed ‘human being’ and then guessed ‘the female human.’ In my opinion we have to credit him, both for another right guess and for understanding what the mass simply cannot fathom. Human is human and sexuality holds no bearings on that statement.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Florisv said...

I've heard of them, but they seem to be very good. hmm lets think, no probably to difficult, on the other hand, lets try planet.

He'd beat me there I think,
strange to think that one changes his/her vocabulary , but then again, that is rather normal.

try sagittarius

7:50 AM  
Blogger RaeJillian said...

Sorry it took so long. The Internet has been more down than up lately.
Planet: after several new questions and many of the same trusty ones 20Q gave his first guess, supernova. Hmmm, this is not quite right in it’s entirety, still a part of me is like, ‘Hey, that’s pretty good.’ After five more questions, two of which are repeats from the original twenty, he says, “Hey, are you thinking of a planet?” Why, yes, yes I was.
Sagittarius: this started a bit of confusion. Which is always welcome, after all, confusion means we are thinking! Define Sagittarius, is it a person born of that sign? The actual sign, as in Zodiac? Using the idea of the Zodiac I began to answer, it was rough as I had to remind myself that I was think of a concept as I answered the questions, here and there also thinking of the stars above me when I encountered questions of color and such. Guess one: outer space. That’s right as far as what I had in my mind visually, yet I had wanted it to go more towards ‘concept’ and I told him no. Guess number two: school. Of thought or as in a place of concepts. Right or wrong ~ you decide if you’ll give him those as correct. With the idea of a human as a Sagittarian I started over and on the first guess that tiny ball said: the human body. Go ahead, 20Q, you rock!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home